15 fire crews were on the scene at Kolkata’s Jaya Cinemas due to a fire.

1196992788fire-at-Jaya-Cinemas-in-kolkata.jpeg

By: Priyanka Sikdar

Last Update: 2021-07-05 11:25:18 IST

  • Follow Us

On Friday night, a fire broke out at Jaya Cinemas, a five-decade-old theatre in Lake Town that had been transformed into a two-screen privately-owned non-multiplex movie theatre.

15 fire crews were on the scene at Kolkata’s Jaya Cinemas due to a fire.
On Friday night, a fire broke out at Jaya Cinemas, a five-decade-old theatre in Lake Town that had been
transformed into a two-screen privately-owned non-multiplex movie theatre. Fifteen fire trucks went to
the scene, and by midnight, the fire had been put out.
According to fire officials, the fire started around 9.45 p.m. on the top floor of Jaya II, also known as Mini
Jaya (because it was built several years after the older Jaya cinema building).
The fire may have started while the cinema hall’s keeper and his wife were cooking in their one-room
shelter on the top floor of the structure, according to fire minister Sujit Bose.
The twin theatre had shut down following the Covid-19-induced shut down during the initial wave of
Covid-19, only to reopen in December last year. It was shut down again in April of this year as a result of
a state decree imposing safety limits, and it has yet to reopen.
The theatre’s senior official stated that they are still unaware of how the fire started and wanted a
comprehensive investigation.
Another official stated that the projector room of Jaya II was extensively burned and that the full extent
of the damage would not be determined until late Friday.

Most Popular News

Top 10 News

The Indian Voice

It's your choice

When we make the Indian Voice available to you online, we use cookies and similar technologies to help us to do this. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but support the Indian Voice and your experience in other ways.

When we make the Indian Voice available to you online, we use cookies and similar technologies to help us to do this. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but support the Indian Voice and your experience in other ways.

When we make the Indian Voice available to you online, we use cookies and similar technologies to help us to do this. Some are necessary to help our website work properly and can't be switched off, and some are optional but support the Indian Voice and your experience in other ways.

Yes, I’m happy Manage my cookies